Welcome Author Jillian Kent to Tea and a Good Book!
Jillian spent the first semester of her senior year of college at Oxford studying British Literature, where she fell in love with England. During this season, she came to appreciate the written word, the rich imagery of romantic poetry like The Highwayman, and historical novels of many types, including Jane Austen and all things Regency.
Today Jillian, still loves to watch Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility, but she also enjoys digging deeper into the darker aspects of the Regency period. This balance of light and dark is reflected in her books.
Jill received her Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from Bethany College in West Virginia, and her Masters Degree in Social Work from WVU, and she brings her fascination with different cultures and societies into her writing.
Faith is another feature of Jillian's work. "My Christian faith is very important to me and its only natural that God plays a part in my writing, because He is so much a part of my every day life. Faith is a journey for each of us, and I love to explore my character’s faith issues--whether they are running toward God or away from Him--and the reasons behind their motives. Fascinating stuff!"
Jill has always been a romantic at heart, so readers will find a good dose of romance woven through each of her novels. Jill, her husband Randy, and children Katie and Meghan are animal lovers. They currently own one dog, Bandit and a menagerie of cats, Lucky, Yuma, Snow, and Holden. Critters of all assortments make their appearance in her stories.
Here are ten more things you may not know about Jillian:
- I grew up on a farm in Western Pennsylvania and shoveled manure for many years.
- I hate to get dressed up. I prefer casual all the way around and definitely sneakers.
- Mental health for everyone is a passion of mine and I want to write a non-fiction book someday to help those who have family members with a mental health problem and for anyone who struggles with these difficult and complicated issues.
- The first story I ever wrote in school was from the POV of an ant at the assassination of Julius Caesar. Not bad for a kid.
- I was a member of Kappa Delta in college and we were considered the “smart ones.” J That’s almost too funny to believe.
- The first concert I ever attended was Chicago. It was also my first real date.
- My mother wanted me to be a nurse. No thanks. I chose social work and love my position as a counselor for nursing students.
- I tried to run away from the hospital in second grade when I was very ill. They caught me.
- I was a member of Toastmasters for five years. I’m comfortable speaking in public now and learned to get past that fear.
- I’m an Anglophile. Spent a semester of my senior year of college in Oxford, England.
Check out Jillian's latest novel, Mystery of the Heart (Book 3 of the Ravensmoore Chronicles):
Lady Mercy Grayson has secretly been studying medicine in Edinburgh, Scotland. She has dressed as a man to pursue the same passion her big brother Devlin, Lord Ravensmoore, pursued outside the acceptance of society. Her secret has been discovered. Now she's running away from Scotland and her dreams. Will she be able to accomplish what she feels is God's calling, or will the parameters of society and those who want to use her secret to accomplish their own selfish ends determine the course of her future?
Vincent Lyons, Lord Eden, is an adventurer coming home to London to deliver the mysterious Holy Lance to the prince regent who wants to see if the legends are true surrounding this relic that is said to possess both the power of healing and destruction. His life is catapulted in another direction when he meets Mercy who is pursuing a different kind of adventure that will cause him to question everything he believes.
Both will be forced to examine their personal motives when members of a voudon tribe, the Regent, and the London Legend Seekers Club search to possess the ancient relic for their own purposes.
Jillian has graciously offered to giveaway a copy of Mystery of the Heart! Please leave a comment (with your email addy) before midnight, January 20! I'll announce the winner here.
You can pick up Mystery of the Heart on Amazon and visit Jillian's website!