Just a few facts about Jane Austen and her (arguably) most famous novel:
- Early drafts were titled First Impressions.
- Jane accepted a marriage proposal from her friend's brother, but the next day she called off the engagement.
- Whom Jane might have loved is still debated, although it's widely accepted she was in love with Tom Lefroy. Their "story", and how it might have influenced her writing Pride & Prejudice, became the inspiration for the book/film, Becoming Jane, with Anne Hathaway as Jane and James McAvoy as Tom Lefroy. The film is rather fictional, btw.
- Pride and Prejudice has been made into numerous film and television adaptations, including Bride and Prejudice, a Bollywood style treat.
|I do so like Tom's waistcoat|
|The 1940 film version, where the costumes aren't exactly...period.|
- It has inspired tomes of Austen-related fiction, including Bridget Jones Diary, Austenland, a Jane Austen mystery series, and Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. Even comic books!
- Colin Firth remains many fans' favorite Mr. Darcy.
- But Matthew McFayden has his fans, too.
- Then there's Mr. Wickham. He's quite charming. At first.
- Jane is so sweet and kind, she's impossible to dislike.
- And Lizzie, dear Lizzie. How we admire your spunk and how we can relate to your pridefulness!
|So Happy Birthday, Pride and Prejudice. At two hundred, you're still looking good.|
|Even you, Mrs. Bennet|